Need An Austin Criminal Defense Lawyer?

What Happens if I Get a New Charge While on Probation?

When you’ve been given probation, you are expected to be on your very best behavior. Under the conditions of your probation, you must not commit any new crimes, or your probation grant can be revoked.

If you’ve already been charged with a new crime, even if it’s a completely bogus charge, you’re likely wondering what happens if you get a new charge while on probation. To find out, keep reading.

Different Possibilities When Charged with a New Crime

As it is with many things in life, what will happen to you will depend on the circumstances. The severity of the new charge will affect the ultimate outcome.

Misdemeanor Offenses

If you’re charged with a misdemeanor offense, it may be left up to your probation officer’s discretion to file a petition to revoke your probation or not.

That means your probation officer will decide whether to complete a petition to revoke your probation based on the following:

  • Your behavior
  • How well you were doing on probation
  • What the new charge is
  • Whether you were honest about the charge
  • Whether the new charge is related to your probation conviction
  • Many other factors

Felony Offenses

If you are charged with a new felony offense while on probation, your probation officer may not have a choice but to file a petition to revoke your probation.

Even so, you have options. Your attorney can arrange for your jail release and can help you fight against a new charge. If you’re not convicted on the new charge, your probation could still be revoked, but it’s not likely.

Contact a Texas Criminal Defense Attorney

Hopefully, you now understand what happens if you get a new charge while on probation. If you need help fighting a new criminal charge, call a Texas criminal defense lawyer from Tillman Braniff, PLLC. We offer a free case review, so call 512-236-0505 or fill out the online contact form below.


Fight Your Charge Today!

Get a FREE consultation to
discuss your case with a lawyer.

Confidential and secure.

Scroll to Top